Labels

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Unrequited Relationship Update

Dear Cybersorter
I have been seeing a man for about two months and he has updated his relationship status to “in a relationship with...” and added my name.
I like him and I’d like to see where this goes, but I’m just about to head off on my holidays and I was hoping to keep things light for a while longer.
I have left him in confirmation limbo for a week, but I can’t hold it off much longer.
Any suggestions?
AF

Dear AF
He is pushing you down the marketing funnel. When a sales person wants to sell you something before you have decided whether you want it or not, they follow a rule.
The customer goes from awareness to consideration to purchase intent. The marketer’s job is to tip you towards purchase intent.
You are aware of him. You are considering him as a possible purchase, but he is slightly tugging you towards his cash register.
This comes down to two words; love and monogamy. If he has declared love and you have demurred, there’s no reason you should capitulate to pressure to announce your attachment to him in such a public manner.
Simply ignore it and enjoy your holiday. If he pressures you over it, you will probably want to run in the other direction. Feel free.

No comments:

Post a Comment