Labels

Monday, May 23, 2011

"Stalking" the Ex on Facebook

Dear Cybersorter,
I recently broke up with my boyfriend of eight years. The split was amicable and I haven’t blocked him on Facebook.
I’m worried I am watching his profile too much. Even when I’m out, I take a quick look to see whether he has posted something and what’s going on with him.
My friends are laughing about it and calling me a stalker.
I’m wondering if it means I want to get back with him or is this normal just broken-up behaviour? – DG

Dear DG,
I can’t tell you whether you want to get back together with him or not. I can tell you that continuing a one-sided relationship in your imagination by following his every move on Facebook will make that decision almost impossible to make with a clear head.
You need to hide his updates and stop checking his profile altogether. Watching his movements from afar allows you to continue a relationship with him, and to interpret/misinterpret how he’s feeling about things. Things like you.
If you aren’t looking each other in the eye and touching each other occasionally then it isn’t a real relationship.
Don’t let those eight years turn into a Facebook ghost that haunts you for another two years before you move on and find new love.

No comments:

Post a Comment