Labels

Monday, May 23, 2011

Facebook Charity Fatigue

Dear Cybersorter,
I am getting Facebook charity request fatigue. I used to log in and find out what my friends are up to.
Now if I’m not being urged to update my status with a conscience-raising message then I’m being asked left, right and centre to donate money. Someone is climbing a mountain and wants cash, someone else is running a marathon and another person is growing or shaving dodgy facial hair.
These are my friends and I want to help out, but I’m starting to avoid logging in to my Facebook page like I avoid those manic-looking charity collectors in the sports bibs on O’Connell Street.
– GH

Dear GH,
It’s so much easier to ignore a piece of post sent anonymously through the letterbox than to tell a friend or colleague you won’t cough up. Charities know this. Thus it feels like your Facebook newsfeed is attempting to milk you dry. In these dark days of bills and financial fear, another request for cash can feel overwhelming.
The good news is you know and trust the people asking for the money (or at least you should) so it will go to the good cause stated.
Remember that you might want to put a request or ask a favour of your Facebook friends sometime, but it is perfectly acceptable not to give to everything you are asked and what is given should be donated anonymously.

No comments:

Post a Comment