Labels

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Addicted to Foursquare and Afraid to Leave the Desk

Dear Cybersorter,
I’m addicted to Foursquare, the location-based social network. At the office I’m the “mayor” – the person who “checks in” the most. I know it doesn’t mean much, but at least my boss knows how much I’m at work, and in this economy you can’t do that enough. 
When I go on holiday, would it be wrong to pay somebody at work to keep checking me in so that I can keep my "Mayor"status?
CD

Dear CD,
Paranoia is rife and yours is out to get you.
As a Foursquare player you are probably the competitive sort, and collect friends and followers like a minor but ambitious dictator.
Paying someone to keep checking in at work is cheating. You will also have to leave them with your phone.
This alone, I sense, may not deter you, so consider the following. Your boss knows you are away, so if she sees you checking in on Foursquare she will smell a rat – a rat that’s gone on holiday. That’s one stinky rat.

No comments:

Post a Comment