Labels

Monday, May 23, 2011

My Colleague Insists on Facebook Freindship

Dear Cybersorter,
A colleague, with whom I’m connected on LinkedIn, keeps asking me to be Facebook friends. I like to keep my private and personal life separate. How do I get this person off my back?
AN

Dear AN,
You have three options:

1) Obfuscate and lie. Tell your colleague: “Someone actually robbed my Facebook identity! I am in counselling for it at the moment and find any mention of Facebook deeply distressing. It causes my eye to tick . . . can you see my eye ticking? You’ll have to excuse me, I need to ring Dr Vabsokov.”

2) Block your over-enthusiastic colleague on Facebook. This means they will not be able to find you in a search so they can’t send awkward and irritating friendship requests. Then tell them you have deactivated your account.
This precludes you using Facebook in the office (if your colleague were to walk by while you were using it you would need to seriously ham it up, “I’m cured! It’s a miracle! I must call and thank Dr Vabsokov. Now if only I could figure out how to confirm friends . . .”).
If it really is only for private friends then not using it in the office would be a conscientious personal and professional boundary to set.

3) Make a friends list on Facebook for your work colleagues and make sure this person is on it. Only post banal nothings to this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment