Labels

Monday, May 23, 2011

"Finally, my Friendship Ha Been Accepted...Hang on a Minute!"

Dear Cyber Sorter,
My sister-in-law, whom I have known for nine years, has accepted my friendship request on Facebook after ignoring it for 18 months.
I see her regularly and I always thought we got on fine, even if secretly I find her a bit loud and annoying.
It has surprised me how offended I feel now that she has chosen to accept my request. When she was ignoring it, I assumed she just hadn’t seen it or whatever and didn’t really think about it. Now I think she was ignoring me because she didn’t want to be connected to me online.
Have I got this all out of proportion? Isn’t it rude to ignore someone for so long only to accept them at last?
- GJ

Dear GJ,
Perhaps you are reading too much into this. Isn’t it possible that your sister-in-law hadn’t seen or had overlooked your friendship request? Or that she may have hit “ignore” before by accident? Then on a rare and thorough inspection of her profile came across your innocent little “friend” request and clicked “accept” without thinking any more about it.
Of course, she could be a manipulative, game-playing, evil witch. You know her better than I do, but these things are easily missed.
It would probably be better for everyone if you were to go with the first explanation and continue with your social life unaffected. After all, you have admitted you don’t like her much either.

No comments:

Post a Comment