Labels

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Dating a Constant Updater

Dear Cybersorter,
I have been going out with a lovely fella who is a few years younger than me. Constant FB and Twitter updates, including on our dates, is a norm for him. Being a private sort of person, I find this perturbing.
We’re planning our first proper holiday and I’m really looking forward to it, but the first question he asked was: “Will the hotel have wireless?”
How do I explain that I don’t want my holiday tweeted and twitpic’d to death?
EC

Dear EC,
It’s nice your boyfriend is keen to show you off, but there are limits. There was a misty time when we would only have to brave the pitying look of the chemist as they handed over holiday pictures.
Now, you turn on a big grin with your teeth full of pesto, the Italian waiter staring down your cleavage as he pours the Pinot grigio, and it’s gone halfway round the world and to all your work colleagues before you can say: “Is there something on my face?”
Since you are booking the hotel, find one with a beautiful view and no wifi. Explain, gently, that the phone is not coming. It needs to learn its place in the hierarchy of your relationship. It’s you, him, the cat, the phone – in that order.
Present him with a disposable camera. Then dazzle him with a glimpse of the bikini you intend to wear. He will forget all about his twittering empire for at least seven seconds. Use this time wisely. Hide the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment