Labels

Monday, June 14, 2010

Defriending in a fit of pique

Dear Cybersorter,
In a fit of pique I defriended the guy I had been dating because he did something to annoy me. Later I realised that I had gotten the wrong end of the stick and overreacted. He is, in reality, totally sweet and fab and I fear I am an emotional nutter.
Do I tell him my Facebook has gone wonky and I need to re-friend him or do I just let it slide and hope he wont notice????

Dear Wonky,
Saving face on Facebook is difficult to achieve.There's a reason most humans, (leaving out footballers, D list celebrities and criminals) have evolved a reticence to act on first impulse. It tends to embarrass us.
This is doubly true for social media where, due to it's private in public nature, the exercising of strong emotions should not be taken lightly.
If he is in any way sensible he will notice you are not present in his news feed and if you tell him "My Facebook went wonky" he won't believe you. That's not to say it's not the answer.
Sometimes these little white lies help us say what needs to be said without saying it and move on, face and facebook intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment